Create a Real-World Internship Experience to Further Teacher Education; Study the Effects on Teacher Development and Engagement in STEM.
This is a multi-faceted internship experience with real-world responsibilities and a mentored approach to management development. Under the supervision and guidance of experienced airport owner/operators, the intern will be immersed in all aspects of the operation of a small, general aviation airport.
Detailed Job Description
- Develop management skills for the implementation and oversight of effective, efficient, and standardized ground and flight instruction courses in accordance with FAA requirements.
- Assist the chief flight instructor in updating and standardizing private, instrument, and commercial pilot course materials, and coordinate same with staff flight instructors.
- Experience facility management that includes construction and runway overlay projects, hangar maintenance, grounds keeping, runway approach clearance and approach system operations, operation of automated weather and other pilot aids, fuel farm management with exposure to regulatory requirements.
- Support operations management that includes hangar rental system, on-site contract negotiations, and familiarization with operations such as skydiving, aerial photography, and aircraft maintenance.
- Teach and help develop products associated with the airport’s STEM outreach programs.
- Revise airport business plan and operations manual, including incorporating new educational components.
- Build knowledge and relationships with local and state agencies and boards as required to operate the airport.
- Affiliated with an accredited teaching program, either as a teacher-in-training or a teacher-on-sabbatical.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Able to commit one year full-time to the internship experience.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
- Possess a growth mindset and entrepreneurial spirit to join a cutting edge environment that is combining traditional airport uses with non-traditional ways to use facilities and personnel for STEM outreach.
- Work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Familiar with various social media platforms.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Perform routine activities such as hangar and grounds maintenance, and aircraft refueling.
- Paid internship opportunity with the following negotiated breakdown:
- Free housing.
- Educational outreach dependent on teaching and product development skills.
- Flight training (if desired).